Reporting to the General Manager, the Lead Maintenance technician is responsible for executing daily regular maintenance and ongoing preventative maintenance of all areas of the interior and exterior of our Independent Senior Living and Long Term Care communities.
The Lead Maintenance technician ensures a high level of Residents’ comfort in their personal and communal living environments by maintaining an efficient building and responding to their requests. This individual must have strong communication skills both written and oral, able to adapt and meet deadlines, and work in collaboration with the housekeeping team to ensure that the building and resident rooms are maintained at our quality standards.
This position is primarily hands-on with administrative, leadership/supervisory components and will participate in the on-call schedule as per assigned region/locations.
- Facilitate and coordinate on-going, open communication with the leadership team; understand, assess, prioritize, and address resident and management concerns in order to ensure operational excellence.
- Oversee the housekeeping staff, ensuring compliance to work schedules, procedures & cleaning standards and Occupational Health and Safety.
- Responsible for performing minor carpentry, electrical, plumbing work or repairs; repairs include furniture, light fixtures, faucets, door hardware, trim kits and electrical appliances, and equipment in common areas and suites.
- Responsible for preventative maintenance, repair and replacement of the mechanical system components. Liaise with 3rd party service contractors. Monitors the BAS, conducts mechanical rounds, meter readings and conducts visual checks of the mechanical, fire and life safety systems, and takes corrective action as required.
- Ensure daily inspection of the building and maintain adequate stock of relevant supplies.
- Active member of the Joint Occupational Health & Safety Committee (JOHSC) and ensures WorkSafe BC (WSBC) requirements are up-to-date; training and records are maintained for all in-house staff and 3rd party contractors, in collaboration with the GM and HR.
- Plans and conducts regular fire safety and evacuation drills with the support of the GM.
- Responsible for maintaining the electronic building access controls/lock systems (Kaba) and Resident life safety equipment and acts as liaison, as necessary, with Information Systems.
- High comfort level with utilizing a computerized maintenance management system (CMMS) to ensure an efficient process of workflow and PM tracking.
- Assist with monthly operations report detailing all operational maintenance issues; monitor associated operational expenses on a monthly basis by reviewing actual performance against budget with the support of the GM and report on various equipment and systems for purchase or upgrade
- Communicates effectively and respectfully with Residents to respond to their requests.
- Maintains a clean, safe and orderly appearance of the exterior grounds and parking areas, including, litter pick up and ice and snow removal.
- Maintains water features to ensure proper function and appearance.
- Participates in a rotating on call schedule with nearby Bria Communities.
- Responds to emergency maintenance requests (i.e. floods, fire alarms, power failures etc.) as needed.
- Education & Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent, plus three (3) to five (5) years' recent related maintenance experience. Preferably experience within the property and/or hospitality / senior living industry. Experience with mechanical systems and Direct Digital Control systems would be an asset. Some technical training in and knowledge of basic plumbing, electrical, building repairs, carpentry, heating and ventilation systems, WHMIS and fire and safety systems. Power engineering experience and/or certification preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge/expertise in building systems and maintenance processes
- Demonstrated ability to safely, effectively and efficiently operate all equipment associated with the position.
- Demonstrates good analytical, problem-solving skills and ability to drive insights and prepare reports as needed.
- Demonstrates ability to overcome ambiguous and complex situations.
- Brings strong organizational and prioritization skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work well and communicate with others including proficiency in associated technology applications.
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible and multitask between projects
- Ability to build rapport with seniors and staff.
- Proficient with Google Apps i.e g/sheet, g/doc etc
- Physical and mental ability to perform the duties of the position.