The Waterford, in Tsawwassen, is part of the Bria Communities family, a private, locally-owned group of retirement living residences in Langley and Tsawwassen. We offer two supportive options where seniors enjoy lives enriched with purpose, friendship and happiness—independent living and long-term BriaCare™ Centres. Our mission is to work together to create safe and vibrant communities where choices are valued and seniors live active and purposeful lives.
Reporting to the Recreation Manager, the Recreation Assistant is responsible for assisting in the implementation of activity programs that meet the physical, social, emotional, intellectual, spiritual and cultural needs and interests of residents in accordance with established goals and policies.
Key Accountabilities1. Organizes and directs indoor and outdoor daily activity programs including exercise classes, entertainment, crafts and related activities which
encourage involvement and independence
2. Assists in setting the objectives and standards required measuring the success of the programs and ensures the required standards are met
3. Assists in the development and production of the monthly calendars and other informational material for the residents
4. Adheres to management policies and procedures of purchasing, ordering, stock and inventory control
5. Promotes resident participation in social, spiritual and recreational activities. Encourage the participation of resident families and the community
6. Directs and supervises volunteers as required
7. Drives the bus for community outings, ensuring a pre and post inspection is made prior to using the vehicle
8. Observes and reports any changes in residents' functional and cognitive behavior to the Recreation Manager
9. Ensures residents' rights of privacy and confidentiality are maintained except in the proper operation of the business
10. Ensures that proper security procedures are followed in the handling and storage of any confidential material
11. Attends approved work-related conferences and seminars to promote and maintain professional development
12. Ensures that departmental operations comply with all Health and Safety Standards and Regulations
13. Maintains a current knowledge of and complies with policies and procedures.
Education & Experience• Diploma in a recreation program or equivalent qualifications in the Continuing Care field
• Current basic First Aid Certificate
• Computer skills with Google Docs and Google Sheets
• Class 4 Drivers License, or willing to obtain it (Company Paid)
• Minimum one (1) year in a recreational setting
• Minimum one (1) year experience driving a bus is an asset
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Must possess the qualities and attitude that respects and maintains the spirit, dignity and individuality of the residents and employees
• Must have the ability to speak and understand English competently and to understand written and oral instructions in English
• Must have the ability to safely and efficiently operate all equipment associated with the duties of the position
• Must have the ability to communicate effectively, organize the departmental operations and assist in the evaluation of the effectiveness of the activity programs
• Must have the ability to teach residents in appropriate activities
• Must have the ability to establish and maintain good interpersonal relations by displaying tact, courtesy and patience with others in the workplace
• Must have the ability to be creative and to stimulate interest and participation of residents in the activity programs
• Must have the ability to carry out significant amounts of physical movement such as lifting, bending, stooping and stretching
• Must have the ability to work independently with minimum supervision
• Team Building Events throughout the year
• Bria Summer Family BBQ & Bria Holiday Party
• Club 16 / She’s Fit Gym Corporate Discount Rate
• PNE / Playland Company Discount Code
• Sun Run & BMO Marathon Company sponsored
• Free Onsite annual Flu-Shot
Bria Communities Gives Back!
Our mission is to work together to create safe and vibrant communities where choices are valued, and seniors live active and purposeful lives. This mission also applies to our work in the larger community, where we seek to encourage, educate and enhance the lives of seniors who call Metro Vancouver home.
If you love interacting with and getting to know seniors, have exemplary customer service skills and really want to make a difference in the lives of our residents, we want to hear from you.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter outlining how your education and experience has prepared you for this position.